Saturday, August 1, 2009

Psychedelic


Today I pulled memories
out of the back of a closet.

Memories neatly preserved
on 45 RPM vinyl.

The psychedelic, mod design box
took me back to a time of innocence.
A time of a war that was ending.
A war I knew very little about.
But still I wore a POW bracelet
and prayed everyday for that soldier.

In a far away land,
the brave risked or lost their life.
In a small corner of America,
I was a girl, becoming a woman.
Trying to figure it all out.

Sheltered from the harshness
of the world,
by two loving parents.

Hell!...I didn't even know
about Woodstock till 1970,
when the album hit the stores.
And Crosby, Stills and Nash
sang of Woodstock.

The memory filled box
sings to me of a
"becoming of age" time.

Like it was yesterday,
when I was young.
The tender age of thirteen
and in love for the first time.
"Puppy Love" so they say.

Those were the days
that held me tight.
At times, chewed me up
and spit me out.

There was the Hurdy Gurdy Man
and Mrs. Robinson.
Hey Jude made a sad song better.
I walked through crimson and clover.
Had an Indian Giver for a best friend.
This magic moment made me dizzy.
I weaved a gum chain from
cinnamon gum stick wrappers.
Picked buttercups in
a field of lie that let me down.
No big surprise.

Hanky Panky was frowned upon.
But the river is wide, as
I raced off on a spinning wheel.
Someday I may get back to you
if you don't let me down.
I could have been your Heather Honey.

In the Ghetto, they don't
understand the Israelites.
Maybe in the year 2525,
persuasion will be crystal blue.
You can't always get what you want.
But just look into these eyes
to see that I adore you,
more today than yesterday.

Let me grow my hair
shoulder length or longer.
Swing through the trees
like Guitarzan.
In this world, only the strong survive.
So rock me, cause Eli's coming
and he seeks an Evil woman.

Holly Holy!

Baby, take me in your arms,
cause we're so good together.

Peace man! Groovy.
Flower Power.
Make Love, not War.

I still wonder...
How many people
can fit inside a bug?

No comments: